Teen Climbing (14 – 17 Year’s Old)
Our teen climbing and coaching classes where our instructors will help them develop more advanced skills. Our coaching classes are currently on at the times below.
|Monday||18:00 - 19:00|
|Friday||18:00 - 19:00|
- Length: Each session lasts for 1 hour.
- Over 14 year olds who have climbed a minimum of 4 supervised sessions and have satisfied our test below, may climb unsupervised.
- Price: It costs €17.50 per session.
- Ages: Coaching is for 14 to 17 year olds.
- Parental consent: All participants must have parental consent forms filled in which can be found here.
- Parents: Do not need to remain in the centre for the duration of the course.
Climbers who are between the ages of 14 and 17 may climb unsupervised at the Wall, once we are satisfied that they are mature and experienced enough to climb on their own safely and provided:
- They have attended at least 4 sessions at the Wall’s coaching sessions.
- Their parents have signed a disclaimer (which can be found here) allowing them to climb unsupervised.
Climbers who are 14 or over, but who do not meet the criteria above must be accompanied by an instructor.
The first 4 instructor lead classes will focus on the following…
Movement & Balance
Climbing essentially involves moving from one secure position to another secure position and not falling off in between. The in between bit is where you need to be in balance and by making sure that your centre of gravity is over your feet and moving in the correct direction. It might be basic, but it’s the foundation of good climbing technique
Route Reading & Hold Types
Miming the sequence from the ground up until the finishing hold, while also picturing your body position and where your feet will go. It’s all done before you even leave the ground. Of course, there’s no point trying to read a sequence if you’re not sure how to hold a grip. Is it best to hold something as a pinch, gaston, undercut, guppy or two finger pocket? All will be revealed by our coaches.
Footwork & Slabs
Whether you love em or hate em, slabs are a crucial part of climbing. From gently placing your foot on the tiniest smear to balancing your way up the wall, slabs can be the most beautiful or the most frustrating climbs. Our expert coaches will teach you how to dance up the walls as graceful as a gazelle.
Dyno’s & Steep Stuff
Explosive power, timing, balance and precision – that’s the essence of good dynamic movement. Climbing dynamically is crucial if you want to improve your climbing, they’re great fun, and makes for some pretty epic videos. We’ll also get down and dirty with the steepest sections of the Wall. It’s all about dropping your knees, keeping the tension and fighting the urge to cut loose. Learn all about strategic toe and heel hooks.